Minnesota’s Clean, Drain, Dispose Laws (page 9 in the fishing handbook)
- Clean all plants and aquatic animals from watercraft, trailers, and other water-related equipment before leaving any access.
- Drain water-related equipment (boat, ballast tanks, portable bait container, motor) and drain bilge, live well and baitwell by removing drain plugs before leaving any water access or shoreland property.
- Keep drain plugs out and water-draining devices open while transporting watercraft.
- Dispose of unwanted bait, including minnows, leeches, and worms, in the trash.
- It is illegal to release bait into a waterbody
- It is illegal to release worms
- If you want to keep your bait, you must drain all water and refill with bottled or tap water.
- Violating these laws could result in up to a $1,000 fine. To report a violation, contact a DNR Conservation Officer.